U.N Council Warns Military To Stay Out Of Guinea-Bissau Crisis




United Nations (United States) - The U.N Security Council on Friday discussed the unfolding crisis in Guinea-Bissau and stressed that security forces must stay out of it.


The west African country has been rattled by the president's decision to sack his prime minister over a series of disputes including the naming of a new army chief.

A military coup in 2012 threw Guinea-Bissau into chaos and the country has barely begun to recover following last year's election.

In a unanimous statement, the 15-member U.N Security Council urged all sides to "resolve the ongoing political dispute in the interest of peace in Guinea-Bissau."

Council members "underscored the importance of the non-interference of security forces in the political situation."

The U.N's envoy to Guinea-Bissau, Miguel Trovoada, and Senegal's President Macky Sall were working to try to ease the crisis.

The council said it would continue to follow the situation closely.

Guinea-Bissau's President Jose Mario Vaz said his fallout with Prime Minister Domingos Simoes Pereira stemmed partly from the appointment of a new armed forces chief, a post of key influence in the small nation known as a hub in drug trafficking between South America and Europe.

(AFP)
Share on Google Plus

About Naijadopest

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Do not use this forum as a channel to promote hatred, tribalism or any other kind of personal grievances. The administration can delete or edit a post that violates these guidelines. Keep the posts relevant to the topic in an attempt to keep the forum organised and maintain the focus on each topic. Thank you for your understanding.